The Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change (ICGC) has been selected by the University of Minnesota as one of two nominees submitted to The Talloires Network and the MacJannet Foundation for the 2016 MacJannet Prize for Global Citizenship competition. This international award recognizes exceptional programs that promote student community engagement and community service.
In addition to international recognition, the award provides financial support for furthering the program's community engagement initiatives. As a member of the Talloires Network, the University of Minnesota’s Office for Public Engagement facilitates the systemwide selection by a review committee. The other nominee from the University of Minnesota is Engineers Without Borders (EWB).
The MacJannet Prize nomination recognizes ICGC for creating educational programs for globally engaged and critically thinking scholars and practitioners, building a community that fosters interdisciplinary research initiatives addressing urgent global issues, and developing partnerships and networks beyond the University to advance shared initiatives related to global change and the global south. Since ICGC’s establishment in 1989, our core programs have supported students in their development as globally engaged future faculty and community leaders through fellowships, academic curriculum, and scholarly events.
The MacJannet Prize was established in order to:
- Recognize and encourage exceptional student community engagement and community service
- Financially support the ongoing work of university-based civic initiatives
- Elevate innovative civic engagement program models and disseminate them throughout the Network as examples of promising practices
- Strengthen public support for the global civic engagement movement in higher education
- Champion the values and extend the legacy of Donald and Charlotte MacJannet, who devoted their lives to fostering international understanding
- Promote action around the principles of the Talloires Declaration, which recommends steps to elevate the civic engagement of universities around the world